Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Constant state of Confusion

Being a newcomer to a city and country and continent that you've never been to before is obviously going to be a bit jarring as you try to awkwardly fit into a space that you've had no exposure to and as my amazing organization told me it is best to just let go and get comfortable with not understanding.  This is great advice because instead of getting hung up on all the things you simply won't understand it is important to enjoy the spontaneity of it all and to be in the moment.  However, I've been here for a little under a month and as a human, I try to make sense of the world around me by seeing patterns and having a healthy curiosity about things. I've listed some curious things I've noticed that I hope to someday move into my other work in progress blog post "Things that don't, but do, make sense, some more than others." Here they are

  1. Why is there salt (or something white) all over the hard-boiled eggs being sold here?  Is it so that when you peel it there is salt on your fingers already or does it maybe have something to do with preservation?
  2. Why do children carry little brooms around with them? Do they make them? Do they use them at school? Do they buy them at school and bring them home?
  3. How to know when to say Chickamoo (something like, "I kiss your feet") as a sign of respect?
  4. What is the secret to keeping clothes so clean!? I need help on this one, desperately...
  5. What does an egg and peanut butter sandwich taste like?
  6. Why do shells on the beach have holes in them? Perfect for making jewelry!
     



    7. Why do all the closet, bathroom and bedroom doors have locks on them with their own individual sets of keys? Particularly the bathroom that can be locked from the outside....?
    8. Why don't people say goodbye here after a phone conversation?
    9. How on earth do men and women carry full 15L buckets of water on their head with no hands?
   10. Why do anti-malaria pills give me the most intense and well thought out dreams with the best story lines I've ever had?
   11.  Why do they put stickers on your bag and your computer when you go into a grocery/general store such as the Nakumatt at Mlimani City. They don't take your bag or your computer, they just put stickers on them as if to say, that you came here with them, but there are no computers or bags like mine in the store?....
   12. How come I've never heard of Stoney Tangawizi (Product of Coca-Cola) before in my life? It is so good! Tangawizi is very fun to say and means ginger in Swahili, it is a ginger ale that actually tastes like ginger!

If you have any answers to these questions feel free to teach me!  This post is a work in progress, I hope to remember more things that I'm confused about!

No comments:

Post a Comment